Sunscreen Beauty Basics
As you enjoy the beauty and warm of the summer sun don’t forget to pack in your beach bag, purse, and makeup bag the most important part of enjoying the sun’s rays – your sunscreen!
Starting even in our early 20’s we worry about the initial signs of aging, wrinkles and age spots that begin to appear all too quickly. Luckily there is something you can choose to do to keep your skin looking younger and protect it from the sun’s damage and that’s wearing sunscreen daily!
Tips to build sunscreen into your daily routine, as well as a few other ways to protect yourself from the sun:
1. The sun’s reflection from sand, water, pavement, cement and snow doubles the amount of ultraviolet exposure. Make sure you use an anti-aging sunscreen or moisturizer that has built-in sun protect of at least SPF 15. Always put on sunscreen before makeup so that it fully absorbs into your skin. Don’t forget to even wear sunscreen on your face in the winter as snow does reflect!
2. Stay out of the sun between 10 am and 3 pm, when the sun’s rays are strongest. You can still get that sun kissed look exposing your skin earlier in the morning or later in the afternoon, or opt for an effective self-tanner or spray tan!
3. Wear a sunscreen with a minimum of SPF 15, even on cloudy days. You will often burn more on cloudy days because you don’t “feel” the heat of the sun on your skin.
4. Wear sunscreen under your clothing; did you know that the standard T-shirt only provides SPF protection of 5 to 8?
5. Apply sunscreen at least 15 minutes before going outdoors and reapply every two hours, especially during exercise or swimming. A waterproof and sweat-proof sunscreen will only offer protection for up to 80 minutes!
6. Grab your favorite summer accessory – sunglasses or a wide-brimmed hat! Be sure your sunglasses have UVA and UVB protections, which should filter at least 80% of the sun’s rays.
7. Don’t forget to apply sunscreen to those often forgotten places – your lips, ears and tops of your feet!!
Here’s to a great summer enjoying the sun while maintaining your gorgeous, young looking skin.